This chicken casserole has been in my recipe box for years. I’m just now getting around to fixing it. What can I say, I guess I’m late to the game!
I was looking in the freezer for some green peppers (I always slice them and freeze in a Ziploc bag) and I saw some frozen chicken thighs. I pressure cooked them with some seasoning and then decided to just use the meat in a casserole. I was gonna fix another recipe, but my most favorite recipe notebook is still missing (sniff sniff ). This was in my recipe box so I gave it a try.
LittleChef2 said it was the best ever and both big kids kept asking if it was gluten free because it had bread in it and tasted so good. That my friends, is a culinary touchdown! (When you’re the Mom of ALL boys, you will naturally throw out sport references even though you really dislike sports, it’s a weird oddity)
I didn’t get this recipe from my Mama, but another Mama. I found it at SouthernPlate.com
Apparently poulet means chicken in French, so this is technically Chicken Chicken casserole. Maybe her Mama wanted to sound all smart and sophisticated speaking French. Fooled me, guess my French in high school and college left my brain, because I didn’t remember what chicken was…
Naturally I substituted a gluten free cornbread mix so I could eat it. And also GF cream of mushroom soup.
LittleChefsDad had bought me 4 or 5 boxes of Glutino Corn Bread Stuffing while I was on bedrest with the twins. He found them on clearance. I don’t know about you, but that signifies true love! 🙂
I followed the recipe exactly except for the gluten free substitutions, hence the title. I wanted to put gluten free in there so folks may attempt this recipe who otherwise would skip over it after seeing cornbread stuffing. Next time I will add a diced yellow onion to the mix instead of the green.
I know we all eat with our eyes and this isn’t the best picture, but trust me, you want to give this recipe a try regardless of the picture!
Mama's Gluten Free Chicken Poulet Casserole
- 2 chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- ½ C Mayo
- ¼ C Green Onions OR 1 small onion diced
- 4 eggs
- 1 stick of butter
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth OR a 16 oz can
- 16 ounce pkg Peppridge Farm corn bread stuffing mix OR Gluten Free Mix
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- Sprinkling of salt
- Melt butter and water together. Place stuffing mix in bowl. Pour water and butter over and stir. Add 2 eggs and chicken broth, stir.
- In separate bowl, combine shredded chicken, mayo, and onions. Stir well.
- Place ½ of stuffing mix in bottom of a 9x13 pan. Top with all of chicken mixture. Dash salt over chicken. Top with remaining stuffing mix. Beat together remaining two eggs and milk. Pour over mixture in pan. Cover and place in refrigerator for at least eight hours.
- Before baking, remove cover and spread cream of mushroom soup over top. Place in 350 oven, uncovered, and bake for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and top with shredded cheese. Return for another five minutes, or until cheese is melted.
This is one of my favorite meals! I haven’t made it in a while. I may need to break out the recipe for this weekend!