Oh potatoes, how I love thee, let me count the way…..
you all would be here a long time 🙂
I LOVE potatoes, in any form or any recipe! The humble spud packs a special place in my heart for my favorite comfort food! You really can do so many tasty things with a potato!
My mind immediately goes to the great potato famine of Ireland. Here’s an excellent short read if inquiring minds want to know. Small snippet:
What was the Irish Potato Famine?
The famine was a devastating moment in Ireland’s history, when the failure of the potato crop led to mass hunger during the mid-19th century, a famine that killed one million people and crippled the country.
The haunting memorial to the Irish Potato Famine in Dublin
Bet you didn’t expect a little history lesson about a potato today, did you??
I have warned you all repeatedly that it’s kinda scary up in here (brain), and I blog what I think 🙂
The potatoes cook about 30 minutes on the stovetop in a Dutch Oven. It’s quick and tasty and no boiling water to mess with. I found this recipe a couple years ago on the internet by Ina Garten. Normally I don’t care for her stuff, she just seems to pretentious. Not to offend anyone, I just never liked watching her shows on Food Network.
Anyway, last weekend we had our church anniversary service, and I had the biggest cake fail of my life! It was pinterest fail worthy! I’ve baked many cakes and followed the recipe to a tee and it was still a disaster! I didn’t find the recipe on some blog, no, it was an award winning baking cookbook! Now I’m afraid to try other recipes from it.
I know I was absent last week, but I did fix two of our favorite quick appetizers and meals. But didn’t have time to photograph or blog. So that will give me an excuse to fix them again soon 🙂
After a great weekend of guest preachers, we get to hear another preacher from Mexico tonight. I’m very much looking forward to that!!
Herbed buttered Potatoes (Stovetop)
- 4 tablespoons 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 pounds small white or Yukon gold potatoes scrubbed but not peeled
- 1-2 teaspoons salt use less if of butter is salted
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped mixed fresh green herbs such as parsley, chives, and dill. (I use dried)
- Melt the butter in a Dutch oven or large heavy-bottomed pot.
- Add the whole potatoes, salt, and pepper and toss well.
- Cover the pot tightly and cook over low heat for 20 to 30 minutes, depending on size,until the potatoes are just tender when tested with a small knife.
- From time to time, shake the pot without removing the lid to prevent the bottom potatoes from burning.
- Turn off the heat and allow the potatoes to steam for another 5 minutes.
- Don't overcook! Toss with the herbs, and serve hot.
I usually always peel my potatoes, I just don’t like getting the peel off in my mouth, so if that doesn’t bother you, then this recipe is even quicker!
My mouth won’t stop watering! Pinned! 🙂
I hope you like them! I love your blog name 🙂
I just love your Herbed Buttered Potatoes, what a great side dish for any meal. Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday this week and come back soon!
Thank you Miz Helen!