These are my absolute favorite brownies! The title is a tad misleading, don’t blame me I didn’t make it up 🙂 It simply means that it only takes 5 minutes to mix this batter up from scratch and get it in the oven! How simple is that? It’s just as quick and easy as a box mix and I can guarantee you it’s a whole lot tastier and healthier! Now you know I’m no health nut, but have you ever glanced at the ingredients on a box of brownies from the store? Its crazy!!!
This recipe only has 9. BIG difference! I do not buy snacks for my kids, instead I homemake them. It’s so much healthier, but also so much cheaper. Being a family of 8, and I stay at home, we are on a strict food budget. My kids get to enjoy fresh homemade snacks throughout the week. You may be thinking I only have the time because I do stay at home. I can assure you I’m rather busy, baby twins are a full time job alone!! 😉
That’s why my most favorite recipes are quick and easy. I found this recipe on 100daysofrealfood.com. I’ve been making these for a couple years now and haven’t changed a thing about the recipe. Which says a whole lot right there! I make the kids brownies with white whole wheat, they can’t taste the difference. I stay away from full whole wheat in baked goods. Although I do have a favorite whole wheat bread I used to love. I may need to dig that recipe out and share it.
This recipe can easily be adapted for gluten free. Just swap the flour out. Funny thing is every single time I make me some gf brownies the kids always manage to eat mine too! They always weasel me out of them. It’s hard to say no to such cute little faces! I love nuts in mine and they claim they hate them, but that never deters them…..
5 Minute Fudge Brownies
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour I used white whole-wheat flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 stick 1/2 cup melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- nuts optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Generously grease a 8X8 or 9X9 square baking dish
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder. Make a well (hole) in the center and drop in the butter, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Mix together thoroughly and then fold in the chocolate chips
- Add the brownie batter to the baking dish and flatten out the top into one even layer.
- Bake for about 28-30 minutes
LittleChefTip: To cut brownies, even while hot, use a plastic knife!