LittleChefsDad’s favorite Girl Scout Cookie is the Samoa. So he was thrilled to sample this cupcake. He loved it, and I loved the gluten free caramel frosting and the topping. Delicious!!
- Chocolate Cake:
- 1 box devil's food cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 C. oil or melted butter
- 1 C. sour cream
- 1/2 C. milk or buttermilk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Caramel Frosting:
- 1 C. butter softened
- 2 1/2 -3 1/2 C. powdered sugar
- 3-5 Tbsp. caramel sauce
- Coconut Caramel Topping:
- 1 1/2 C. shredded coconut (I used the sweetened)
- 1/2 C. - 1 C. homemade OR storebought caramel sauce
- Melted chocolate to drizzle
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, sift cake mix to remove any lumps and continue to add the rest of the cake ingredients. Stir until smooth.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 15-20 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
- Let cool.
- Caramel Frosting: Beat butter until smooth. Add 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar and beat again. Slowly add in caramel. Add more powdered sugar to make thicker if needed.
- Coconut Caramel Topping: Carefully toast coconut in a pan on the stove or in the oven on broil. But be careful because the coconut can easily burn! Pour into a bowl and crush up with your hands or a spoon. Just crush it enough hot there aren't long pieces left. Pour in 1/2 cup of the caramel sauce and stir. Depending on how thick you want the topping, continue to add more caramel.
- To decorate, pipe a circle of frosting on the top of each cupcake. Use a knife to create a "well" in the frosting and fill it with the coconut topping. Then drizzle with melted chocolate or ganache (chocolate melted with cream).