The best Chicken Fajitas
The BEST Chicken Fajitas made at home without those little dry seasoning packets. Fresh and Tasty!!
This is hands down LittleChef1’s most favorite dish! He even requests this every single year for his special birthday dinner. He could eat these everyday of his life if I always had them fixed. These are referred to as “Mommy’s Fajitas”, which is funny because LittleChefsDad was the first one to find the recipe and fix them many years ago. He used to get the cooking itch one time a year and make amazing, restaurant quality meals. Not just little rinky dinky meals, but gourmet! Oh how I wish that itch would come back very often LOL. He fixed these several times because everyone just loved them. Like all good things, it came to an end, and I took up fixing them. It’s probably been 8 years now so the kids don’t remember they actually started out as “Daddy’s Fajitas”, I tell them the story and they think I’m joking. 😉. All joking aside, this recipe is great and the heat can be adjusted by the amount of Cajun seasoning you use. I buy Tone’s brand. I buy it in bulk at Sam’s. This recipe is also gluten free and Whole30 compliant if using Tone’s Cajun seasoning. Always double check ingredients due to manufacturers changes.
You can use regular paprika, but you’ll want to try the smoked version for extra oomph! I found this out by accident. I was out of paprika and didn’t realize it. So I rummaged through the spice drawer and found LittleChefsDad’s smoked paprika he uses for his Grilled chicken tacos. Everyone noticed the taste difference, especially LittleChefsDad. He rarely gushes about anything I fix and he went on and on about the difference. So trust me, you want the smoked paprika 😉
The best Chicken Fajitas
- 3 TBLS Cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 TBLS oil
- 4 large chicken breasts sliced in fajita chunks
- 1 large red onion sliced
- 3 bell peppers sliced, multi-colored ones look most appealing 🙂
- Slice the chicken into thin slices about 1 1/2 inches long.
- Sprinkle Cajun and Smoked Paprika spices over the sliced chicken; let sit a few minutes while doing next step:
- De-seed the peppers. Cut them and the red onion into medium thin slices. Place the slices onto a plate.
- Heat an oiled pan (I use a wok) over medium- high heat. Add the seasoned chicken to the pan. Cook everything until the chicken is tender or for about 5 minutes.
- Add the peppers and onion to the pan. Stir and cook for 3 minutes until the vegetables are soft. Add more seasoning if needed.
- To serve: Place the chicken mixture into a warmed flour tortilla with your favorite toppings: shredded cheese, guacamole, sour cream, and salsa! Roll the wrap up and enjoy!
I double this recipe to feed my crew. It does dinner and lunch is always chicken fajita nachos the next day!
Your Fajitas look amazing! Happy Valentine Day and thanks so much for sharing your awesome talent with us at Full Plate Thursday!